Vacancies . Business Finance Specialist
Business Finance Specialist
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours), fixed term contract until December 2019
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Oxford Innovation Services (OIS) is a commercial organisation recognised as market leading specialists in SME business growth support and development. Now firmly established as a key provider of business coaching to high growth businesses in the Duchy, we launched the ERDF funded Access to Finance Project in January 2017, and are now recruiting another Finance Specialist due to programme demand. This role will report to the Programme Delivery Manager.
The aim of the role will be to work with Cornwall & Isles of Scilly based start-up businesses and established SMEs to develop commercially credible funding raises in order to achieve accelerated growth, improved performance and productivity and the creation of high value jobs.
The successful candidate will be mindful of the funding challenges facing SME’s. They will be able to demonstrate their experience and understanding of the different sources of SME finance and how to overcome the challenges of accessing finance through provision of high quality investment-readiness support. They will be a valuable team member providing skills and support and working closely with OIS colleagues to deliver the FRP programme to the highest industry standards.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The role will include the following activities:
- Follow up assigned referrals and conduct an initial assessment of the client’s suitability for the programme
- Recognise the client’s financial challenges and opportunities in order to mentor them to understand their finance needs and to identify the most commercially advantageous routes to success.
- Carry out regular meetings with the client to support the implementation of the agreed financial readiness plans, reviewing actions, developing and agreeing next steps to ensure best chances of success.
- Work alongside funders, including but not limited to: Banks, Grant Agencies, Angel networks, Crowd Funds and Venture Capitalists to present client businesses in the best position to embark upon successful funding campaigns
- Deliver workshops, as part of the team, covering all aspects of finance raises
- Embrace and promote a culture of continuous improvement and innovation in client delivery and team performance
- Promote the value of investment in high quality legal and accountancy advice from our framework suppliers and accredited NED’s
Develop close working relationships with internal and external delivery partners, quickly understanding their key challenges and opportunities, working with them to achieve programme outputs.
- Someone with strong interpersonal skills, business/finance experience relevant to and appropriate for SME’s.
- You will have well developed analytical skills, and a good understanding of typical SME financial growth challenges and how they are overcome.
- You will have an eye for detail.
- Your financial skills may include a sound understanding of different types of suitable finance, small business accounting, and business planning/growth expertise, in order to support clients to become investment ready.
- Ideally you will have experience of working as a Finance Manager/Director or working with Finance Managers/Directors or experience in raising Angel Investment, Venture Capital, Grants and multiple sources of debt/alternative finance
- You will be confident and articulate and you will quickly win the trust and respect of our clients.
- You will be able to present effectively to small groups as well as give confidential advice in 1:1 settings.
Completing all required CRM and systems needs in a timely manner is essential as well as the ability to work both independently and with colleagues in the team, supporting in areas where you have specialist knowledge. You will have sound judgement and take a collaborative and solution focussed approach. Strong active listening, networking and relationship building skills are key to this role, as well as an enthusiasm to undertake internal and external training as required and translate learning into positive interventions with clients.
The successful candidate will have a drive for quality and have experience in working in a demanding environment, where the willingness to meet the needs of the business, is crucial.
You will be educated to degree level (or have equivalent commercial experience).
A full driving license and access to a car is essential for this role.
Closing Date: 25th July 2018
Interviews will be held on the 1st and 2nd August 2018
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
This role is funded from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.